Welcome to Marketer Interview, where we bring insights from the industry’s most exciting marketers.
Today, we have Arzoo Tomer, a Social Media Marketer at Axelerant. Arzoo has been nominated for the Social Samosa Super Women in Marketing Awards and is known for her expertise in social media marketing.
In this interview, she will share her journey, experiences, and advice on excelling in social media marketing.
- 1 What inspired you to pursue a career in marketing?
- 2 Can you walk us through a successful social media campaign you’ve managed?
- 3 What are the most important skills a social media marketer should possess?
- 4 How do you stay up-to-date with the latest trends and changes in social media algorithms?
- 5 How do you measure the success of a social media campaign?
- 6 How do you ensure your social media content aligns with your brand’s values and voice?
- 7 Can you share your favorite social media tools and software daily?
- 8 What advice do you have for someone wanting to start a social media marketing career?
- 9 What are social media marketers’ biggest challenges today, and how can they overcome them?
- 10 What are your future goals and aspirations as a social media marketer?
In 2019, I became interested in social media marketing and wondered why it was so popular. So I took some free courses and looked for jobs in that field.
When I started working as a social media marketer in 2020, I loved telling stories through social platforms. In addition, I enjoy editing and creating content a lot.
During Covid, I began posting more of my life on Instagram, and my interest grew even more. As a result, I am a full-time social media marketer (organic and paid) and an Instagram influencer.
Over the years, I have gained much experience working on various campaigns.
I have found that one strategy that consistently produces excellent results is to always start by understanding the “why” behind the campaign. This means getting clear on the purpose and goals of the campaign, the intended audience, and the message that needs to be conveyed.
When you clearly understand the “why,” everything else falls into place, and it becomes easier to make informed decisions about the content, creative, and promotion strategies that will be most effective in achieving your goals.
One of my favorite campaigns I am working on is an ongoing YouTube show hosted by one of Axelerant’s directors, featuring renowned guests from technical backgrounds.
I thoroughly enjoy creating social media promotion clips, curating content, and everything else that goes into promoting this campaign. I can already see our desired target audience engaging with the content, which is a testament to the effectiveness of our approach.
I am also very proud of the reel series I developed, which showcases Axelerant’s culture while staying on-trend. The positive response we received regarding traction and savings on these content pieces confirmed that our efforts were well-received.
Social media marketing requires several essential skills: communication, consistency, and patience.
With social media algorithms changing overnight, it can be overwhelming, but staying patient and consistently creating valuable content for your audience is crucial.
Remember that your goal is to create value and tell engaging stories for your audience. Effective communication is critical to connecting with people and leaving a lasting influence.
This is particularly important for social media, as it is about being ‘social.’ Good communication skills will help you to engage with your audience, build trust, and establish a robust online presence.
A few things are helping me develop these skills: Reading, working on myself with coaches at Axelerant and taking courses to improve my knowledge and skills.
Most importantly, practice makes perfect, so I continue experimenting with different content formats and strategies, track the results, and adjust my approach accordingly.
One effective strategy to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and changes in social media algorithms is to follow industry influencers and official handles of social media platforms.
These influencers and platforms often post every update and change in their algorithms. To adapt to the latest trends and changes in social media algorithms, it’s essential to experiment and analyze what’s working best for your business.
However, being in the tech industry, not every trend is suitable. Therefore, following the approaches that work best for our culture and reflect our values is ideal.
As a “people-first” approach company, our primary focus is to attract potential employees to join our team. To measure the success of our campaigns, we track several key metrics, including:
- Impressions: the number of times social media users have seen our posts
- Engagement: the number of likes, comments, and shares our posts receive, indicating how well they are resonating with our audience
- Applications received through social media: the number of potential candidates who apply for job openings through our social media posts
- Website traffic: the amount of traffic driven to our website from our social media channels, which indicates the effectiveness of our campaigns in driving interest in our brand.
By analyzing these metrics, we can gain insights into which strategies and content types are most effective in engaging and attracting potential employees.
We can then adjust our social media strategy accordingly to optimize our results and continue to attract top talent to join our team.
As mentioned earlier, it’s essential to understand the “WHY” behind our actions. At Axelerant, we prioritize our values in everything we do.
We follow guidelines to ensure that our content reflects our values and voice, which helps us maintain consistency across all our social media platforms.
In social media, the golden rule is always to respond to all criticism.
We follow this rule by responding to all positive or negative feedback in a positive and objective manner. By doing so, we can demonstrate that we value our audience’s opinions and are committed to addressing their concerns.
We regularly use HubSpot to schedule our social media content and track our performance. It’s an efficient way to plan our social media calendar, and we can quickly analyze our post’s performance data.
Canva is another favorite tool we use daily to create social media posts. By creating templates, we ensure consistent communication, and it helps me stay up-to-date with the calendar.
Lastly, ChatGPT is a life-saver. It helps me with a creative block and supports me with content writing.
Two things I would suggest apart are:
- Build your content writing skills (start reading)
- Don’t be afraid of experimenting and failing
While having a degree in marketing, communications, or a related field is also helpful.
But what’s more important is having a good understanding of social media platforms, the audience you want to target, and the ability to create engaging content that resonates with your audience. This comes with experimenting.
The biggest challenges facing social media marketers today are:
- Staying up-to-date with algorithm changes and new features on social media platforms
- Cutting through the noise and standing out in a crowded social media landscape
- Building authentic connections with audiences in an age of automation
- Getting burned out and having creative blocks
To overcome these challenges, social media marketers can do the following:
- Stay informed about platform changes and invest in ongoing education and training
- Focus on creating consistent valuable content that resonates with their target audience
- Prioritize engagement and building real, human connections with their audience through conversation and personalization
- Learn to take breaks and ask for help whenever needed
I aspire to grow as a social media marketer by building my leadership skills and mentoring others soon.
I believe in the importance of continuous learning and investing in oneself to achieve success in this field.
To stay up-to-date with the latest trends and techniques, I actively seek learning opportunities and enroll in courses to upskill myself. In addition, I am excited to attend marketing events this year to gain more insights and learn from industry leaders.